The LT_Observatory project in a nutshell
Full project name (with link to project page)
LT_OBSERVATORY - OBSERVATORY FOR LR (Language Resources) and MT (Machine Translation) in EUROPE
January 2015 - December 2016 (24 months)
Project coordinator (main applicant)
Blanca Rodríguez, ZABALA INNOVATION CONSULTING, S.A.
Summary of main topic and goals
LTO_Observatory is a finalized Horizon 2020 project. Based on achievements of former initiatives (e.g. FLaReNet, META), Language Technology (LT) Observatory's aims were:
1. Create a language resource repository for commercial use (benchmark for reliability and interoperability etc.)
2. Identify national and regional funding sources, including Regional and Structural Funds
3. Continue with a LT News Observatory
4. Foster cooperation across stakeholders through targeted dialogue events
5. Create a roadmap for future needs to improve the quality of machine translation.
CLARIN in the project
CLARIN's role in the project
CLARIN led WP1 (Stock-Taking), and participated actively in all other WPs. Within CLARIN, the work was carried out mainly at the University of Copenhagen and in the CLARIN ERIC Office.
Main CLARIN-specific results
A major goal was to gain increased insight in: the requirements for commercial use of the CLARIN infrastructure; integration of CLARIN Language Resources in LT-Observatory; insight in how to use the LT-Observatory's solutions within CLARIN.
All project deliverables can be found on this webpage. Including deliverable D1.3, a best practice paper describing a.o. how to make your own parallel corpora using existing tools.
As part of the Public Policy Observatory, an overview of national and regional funding opportunitites has been published.
Two conference papers describing the LT_Observatory project have been presented by represenatives of CLARIN:
- Bente Maegaard, Lina Henriksen, Andrew Joscelyne, Vesna Lusicky, Margaretha Mazura, Sussi Olsen, Claus Povlsen, Philippe Wacker: Providing a Catalogue of Language Resources for Commercial Users. In: Nicoletta Calzolari, Khalid Choukri, Thierry Declerck, Sara Goggi, Marko Grobelnik, Bente Maegaard, Joseph Mariani, Hélène Mazo, Asunción Moreno, Jan Odijk, Stelios Piperidis (ed.) Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2016), Portoroz, Slovenia, 2016, pp. 449-456.
- Bente Maegaard, Claus Povlsen, Sussi Olsen, Lina Henriksen, Margaretha Mazura, Vesna Lusicky, Gerhard Budin, Blanca Rodríguez and Luz Esparza: Observatory for Language Resources and Machine Translation in Europe – LT_Observatory. Presented at the International Conference on Future and Emerging Technologies in Language Technology (FETLT 2016), Seville, Spain, 2016. To be published by Springer.
Person months for CLARIN
15 person months of a total of 78.
CLARIN's coordinator for this project
Participating CLARIN partners (through direct project partnership or secondments)
CLARIN ERIC seconded half (7,5) of the available person months to UCPH
|Type of action||CSA|
|Internal CLARIN LT-Observatory page with WPs, deliverables, distribution of PMs, Events, etc.|