CLARIN makes digital language resources available to scholars, researchers, students and citizen-scientists from all disciplines, especially in the humanities and social sciences, through access. CLARIN offers long-term solutions and technology services for deploying, connecting, analyzing and sustaining digital language data and tools. CLARIN supports scholars who want to engage in cutting edge data-driven research, contributing to a truly multilingual European Research Area.
To further the construction and integration of its technology components, CLARIN is looking for a:
System Administrator / Linux engineer (0.6 - 1 FTE)
- Manage our Linux-based servers, including installation and updates of the Operating System and migrations between servers.
- Application deployment: e.g. web applications (Tomcat) and our website (LAMP/Drupal).
- Migrate non-packaged processes (e.g. daemons, apps installed as OS packages) to Docker images. Deploy images as containers.
- Maintain and extend our -based Authentication and Authorization Infrastructure (Shibboleth), e.g. managing SAML metadata streams with PyFF.
- Explore our current service architecture and think along about how to improve our control and reduce manual work overhead further. An example is configuration management and remote control.
- Harmonize and safeguard our data backup policy across data centers.
- Maintain and improve our monitoring systems (Icinga, Grafana/Graphite)
- Provide technical support, both to the CLARIN office and external users.
- Set up a centralized logging system.
- Define and implement an information security policy that covers our infrastructure as well as organizational culture.
The ideal candidate has the following skills:
- Experience as Linux system administrator. You are well aware of the main commonalities and differences between modern Linux distributions (e.g., you understand systemd) and the basics of managing the most popular distributions (in particular CentOS 7).
- Deep knowledge of networking, especially firewall configuration.
- Hands-on experience with versioning systems (Git, SVN) and Continuous Integration (e.g. Travis)
- fluent English, both spoken and written
Further expertise that would be valuable:
- Software development, preferably Java or Python
- Drupal administration and/or PHP development
- HTML, Web design, CSS, Bootstrap, Less
Above all, you are a quick learner, proactive and eager to make things work.
What we can offer:
- a position for 1 year (24 up to 40 hours/week), starting 1 October 2016 or later (by mutual agreement) – with the option for a longer-term extension
- a motivated and inspiring group of colleagues
- a dynamic, innovative and international work environment (including regular meetings abroad)
- the possibility to follow courses and training sessions on relevant subjects
- the salary is to be determined and depends on experience and education level
- preferably, you will work at our office at the Radboud University Nijmegen (NL) or Utrecht University (NL)
- alternatively the work can be carried out from a CLARIN centre - details for such an arrangement need to be worked out on an individual basis
How to react:
Please send a motivation letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, before 21 September 2016. In the subject, mention at least the code CE-2016-0843. Further questions can be addressed by mail (email@example.com) or by phone (+31-850091363, Dieter Van Uytvanck).
Update October 2016: The vacature is closed, the position has been filled. Thanks for your interest!