Introducing Component Metadata
Metadata for language resources and tools exists in a multitude of formats. Often these descriptions contain specialized information for a specific research community (e.g. TEI headers for text, IMDI for multimedia collections).
To overcome this dispersion CLARIN has initiated the Component MetaData Infrastructure (CMDI). It provides a framework to describe and reuse metadata blueprints. Description building blocks (“components”, which include field definitions) can be grouped into a ready-made description format (a “profile”). Both are stored and shared with other users in the Component Registry to promote reuse. Each metadata record is then expressed as an XML file, including a link to the profile on which it is based.
The CMDI approach combines architectural freedom when modeling the metadata with powerful exploration and search possibilities over a broad range of language resources.
As of July 2016, there are two supported versions of CLARIN's component metadata framework: CMDI 1.1 and CMDI 1.2. They are not interchangeable, but CMDI 1.1 metadata can easily be converted into CMDI 1.2. More information about the changes in CMDI 1.2, its place in the infrastructure and how it may affect you as a user, metadata creator, modeller, repository owner or software developer can be found on the CMDI 1.2 page. The general information in this page applies to both CMDI 1.1 and CMDI 1.2.
Further information and examples
For a detailed explanation, take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about CMDI
CMDI best practice guide (draft):
CMDI first aid kit (print with a short edge binding)
Creating CMDI components and profiles
- Component Registry (Select your organization from the list, or if that does not work, select "clarin.eu website account" and use your email/password from the CLARIN site to login - email should be in lower case!)
- Documentation for users
- Documentation in German from the NaLiDa project: http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/nalida/doku/tutorials/component-registry.html
- Documentation for developers (REST webservice)
using the CLARIN Concept Registry to create Concept Links in CMDI:
Browsing, searching and using CMDI metadata
- Virtual Language Observatory:
- Early-stage prototypes (limited functionality!):
- Using Islandora (Fedora + Drupal) with CMDI
- Using Fedora with CMDI (in German)
- Repository setup with Fedora and CMDI at IDS
- CMDI (and other metadata) in DSpace repositories (Lindat/CLARIN) (also see these technical notes)
- please mail your questions and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- alternatively, contact your national CLARIN helpdesk
- CLARIN-NL workshop, 2014-03-04, Utrecht
- CLARIN-NL workshop, with extended video material and excercises, 2012-09-13, Nijmegen
Are you interested in organizing or following a CMDI training course? Please contact us!